In the early hours of April 2, 2018, Israel announced that it signed a deal with United Nations to resettle Africans in western countries but called off the agreement the very same day. Benjamin Netanyahu, the prime minister of Israel, announced the agreement on national television. He came on the television again and announced about its cancellation saying that Israel had agreed to send half of the immigrants to western countries.
He said he will be meeting Israeli residents of south Tel Aviv areas soon, after which he will reconsider the agreement. There are currently 35,000 immigrants staying in Israel, and most of them are living in south Tel Aviv. Most of this immigration is from war-torn countries of Sudan and Eritrea and say that they fled the country to save themselves from persecution and danger. On the contrary, leaders think they are basically economic migrants. For almost a decade, They have struggled with what to do with the immigrants because they needed to support them because these countries helped them during the Holocaust.
So why was the planned canceled? Netanyahu feels that the country that was going to take in the immigrants will not be able to handle the influx. In the last week, it became clear that the third country option doesn’t exist and Israel got trapped in the agreement.
In his post on Facebook, Netanyahu blamed the New Israel Fund, a liberal advocacy group and European Union for ruining the deal with Rwanda. These immigrants had agreed to take a one-way ticket to a safe country and $3000 to start a new life in a safe African country.
Monim Haroon, the university student in Jerusalem who came to Israel from Darfur five years ago, said that as long as they are safe, they don’t care where they are resettled.